Popular Desert Destinations
Discover popular Desert spots with Pictures and Directions on a map
Dubai - United Arab Emirates
San Pedro de Atacama
- Errachidia is a province located in eastern central Morocco in the region of Dra-Tafilalt. Errachidia is bordered by Algeria to the southeast and by the Moroccan provinces of Figig to the northeast, Midelt to the north, Tinghir to the west, and Zagura to the southwest.
- Abu Dhabi is the capital and the second-most populous city of the United Arab Emirates. It is also the largest of the UAE's seven emirates. The city of Abu Dhabi is located on an island in the Persian Gulf, off the Central West Coast. Most of the city and the Emirate reside on the mainland connected to the rest of the country.
- Jaisalmer, nicknamed "The Golden city", is a city in the Indian state of Rajasthan, located 575 kilometres west of the state capital Jaipur. The town stands on a ridge of yellowish sandstone, and is crowned by the ancient Jaisalmer Fort. This fort contains a royal palace and several ornate Jain temples. Many of the houses and temples of both the fort, and of the town below, are built of finely sculptured sandstone.
- Fuerteventura is one of the Canary Islands, in the Atlantic Ocean and is part of the North Africa region, politically part of Spain. At 1,659.74 square kilometres, it is the second largest of the Canary Islands, after Tenerife. As at the start of 2019, Fuerteventura had 116,886 inhabitants. It was declared a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in May 2009. Its capital is Puerto del Rosario.
- Erg Chigaga is the largest and still untouched of the major ergs in Morocco, the other is Erg Chebbi near Merzouga. This erg made of beautiful dunes is located in the Drâa-Tafilalet area about 45 km west of the small rural oasis town of M'Hamid El Ghizlane, itself located about 98 km south of the town of Zagora.
- Pismo Beach is a city in the southern portion of San Luis Obispo County, in the Central Coast area of California, United States. The estimated population was 8,213 in 2018, up from 7,655 in the 2010 census. It is part of the Five Cities Area, a cluster of cities in that area of San Luis Obispo County. The "Five Cities" area historically is made up of Arroyo Grande, Grover City, Halcyon, Fair Oaks and Nipomo. Now most people refer to the Five Cities as Grover Beach, Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Arroyo Grande and Oceano.
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
- Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve is an American national park that conserves an area of large sand dunes up to 750 feet tall on the eastern edge of the San Luis Valley, and an adjacent national preserve in the Sangre de Cristo Range, in south-central Colorado, United States.
Valle de la Luna
- El Valle de la Luna is located 13 kilometres west of San Pedro de Atacama, to the north of Chile in the Cordillera de la Sal, in the Atacama desert. It has various stone and sand formations which have been carved by wind and water. It has an impressive range of color and texture, looking somewhat similar to the surface of the moon. There are also dry lakes where the composition of salt makes a white covering layer of the area. It presents diverse saline outcrops which appear like man-made sculptures. There are also a great variety of caverns.
- The Giza Plateau is a plateau in Giza, on the outskirts of Cairo, Egypt, site of the Fourth Dynasty Giza Necropolis, which includes the Great Pyramids of Khufu, Khafre and Menkaure, the Sphinx, several cemeteries, a workers' village and an industrial complex.
- Qom Province, pre-Islamic Komishan/Qomishan, is one of the 31 provinces of Iran with 11,237 km², covering 0.89% of the total area in Iran. It is in the northern portion of the country, and its provincial capital is the city of Qom. It was formed from part of Tehran Province in 1995.
Liwa - Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
- Margham is an oil and gas field in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and the largest onshore gas field in the emirate. The field is managed by Dusup - the Dubai Supply Authority. Condensate production ran at some 25,000 barrels per day in 2010. Margham also has an oil production capability.
Travelers Tips and Stories about Desert
More pictures, more inspiration, more experiences...
The immensity of the desert is overwhelming, and many people take it for granted. It's fascinating how the shadows drawn on the dunes change right in front of our eyes throughout the day, how the ripples on the sand appear interdaily, any trace of human interference entirely fading away.
We were on our way to ride camels on the desert as I pulled my friend to take my hand so I can lead the way. This picture is a collection of my minimalist travels around the world and it is meant to inspire more female travelers to go solo and enjoy the new people and adventures you meet along the journey.
Epic roadtrip through the southwestern US in a small car with young kids. We hit White Sands National Monument, bought a saucer from the gift shop, and spent an hour sledding down the dunes. As the sun dropped, I took this photo.