Popular Surfing Destinations
Discover popular Surfing spots with Pictures and Directions on a map
- Port Alfred is a small town with a population of just under 26,000 in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa. It is situated on the eastern seaboard of the country at the mouth of the Kowie River, almost exactly halfway between the larger cities of Port Elizabeth and East London and 30 kilometres west of Cannon Rocks.
- Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales and the most populous city in Australia and Oceania. Located on Australia's east coast, the metropolis surrounds Port Jackson and extends about 70 km on its periphery towards the Blue Mountains to the west, Hawkesbury to the north, the Royal National Park to the south and Macarthur to the south-west.
- Bali is a province of Indonesia and the westernmost of the Lesser Sunda Islands. Located east of Java and west of Lombok, the province includes the island of Bali and a few smaller neighbouring islands, notably Nusa Penida, Nusa Lembongan, and Nusa Ceningan.
- Newport Beach is a coastal city in Orange County, California, United States. Newport Beach is known for good surfing and sandy beaches. Newport Harbor once supported maritime industries but today it is used mostly for recreation. Balboa Island draws visitors with a waterfront path easy access from the ferry to the shops and restaurants. Its population was 85,287 at the 2010 census.
- Porto or Oporto, is the second-largest city in Portugal, one of the Iberian Peninsula's major urban areas. Oporto city has a population of 237,559 and a metropolitan area with 2.4 million people in an area of 2,395 km², making it the second-largest urban area in Portugal.
- Lacanau is a commune in the Gironde department in Nouvelle-Aquitaine in southwestern France. Lacanau is a surfing area. Lacanau is a member of the Community of Municipalities Médoc's Lakes which includes the municipalities of Lacanau, Carcans and Hourtin, the territory Médoc Océan.
- Struisbaai is a coastal settlement in the Overberg region of South Africa's Western Cape province. The town is in the Cape Agulhas Local Municipality in the Overberg District, about two hundred kilometres south east of Cape Town, and four kilometres from Cape Agulhas, which is the southernmost point of the African continent.
- Hendaye is a commune in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques department and Nouvelle-Aquitaine region of southwestern France. The town, France's most southwesterly and a popular seaside tourist resort, stands on the right bank of the River Bidassoa – which marks the Franco-Spanish border – at the point where it empties into the Atlantic Ocean in the French Basque Country.
- Ericeira is a civil parish and seaside community on the western coast of Portugal considered the surfing capital of Europe for being the only European spot among the World Surfing Reserves and due to the exceptional coastline conditions for the practice of Surf.
Travelers Tips and Stories about Surfing
More pictures, more inspiration, more experiences...
We searched the coast line for 5 hours to find a new unridden break. After a lot of trekking through forests and rocky beached we finally gave up and took a decision to check our regular surf spot just before sunset. We arrived just as the sun was setting and managed to finally catch some waves. The light was too good not to try to capture and I was happy I brought water camera to get this shot.
Our recent move to North Shore Oahu was the best thing we could’ve done. Within two weeks we ended up buying two longboards and surfing almost everyday. School and work seem to be an afterthought. The waves and silence of the ocean have seemed to steal our souls.
After a long day of surfing, kayaking, and zip lining throughout the coast of Costa Rica, we were ready to throw in the towel for the day. After the sun had set it was time for one more wake. This photo reminds me to make the most of every single day, and I hope it will do the same for you.